If cats could talk, they wouldn't! Fun Facts about our feline friends. October 30, 2017 16:50
It is fascinating how pet cats are the smaller version of those amazing big felines like tigers, jaguars, panthers, lions and we are blessed to enjoy their company at home. If you are a cat lover there are so many things you must learn about this beautiful animal.
|COMMON NAME: Domestic Cat||SCIENTIFIC NAME: Felis catus|
|TYPE: Mammals||SIZE: 28 in|
|DIET: Carnivores||WEIGHT: 5 to 20 lbs|
PRESENCE IN WORLD HISTORY
Ancient Egyptians domesticated cats first as early as 4,000 years ago. They were the first to keep and use cats to control vermin and other pests to protect stored food. Early Egyptians worshipped a cat goddess and even mummified their beloved pets for their journey to the next world. Cultures around the world later adopted cats as their own domestic companions. They exported tame felines to Italy where they slowly spread around Europe. Eventually, they arrived in the New World with the Pilgrims. The shorthaired domestic cat spread across the world from Egypt while longhaired cats came later from Turkey and Iran. The domestic cat also spread from India to China and Japan.
IN XXI CENTURY FAMOUS PEOPLE LOVE CATS TOO
Fame won’t stop anyone from loving their kittens. Here is proof from nine cat loving celebrities!
| 1. Katy Perry
Our beloved pop star has a cat named Kitty Purry, funny right? It also was her inspiration for Katy’s debut perfume “Purr.”.
2. Snoop Dogg
That’s right, the artist named after a dog ironically loves cats. He’s the lucky owner of two Siamese cats named Frank Sinatra and Miles Davis. Looks like the “Dee-oh-double gee” is full of surprises.
Magic didn’t get in the way of actor Gary Oldman who plays “Sirius Black”, Harry Potter’s godfather in the movie franchise, is said to be “sirius” about his cat, Soymilk.
This blond beauty is not only a songwriter and singer, but also a self-proclaimed “cat lady” after adopting an adorable kitten named Meredith. Swift showed the world her love for the kitten in social media by posting videos like the one in which she teaches Meredith about the Academy of Country Music Awards.
Renaissance man James Franco was raised around pet cats and remains a cat lover. Franco has two cats, Sammy and Zelda, which he named after famous literary figures.
6.Evan Rachel Wood
After her 2008 break up with Marilyn Manson, Evan Rachel Wood adopted a cat that she named Nicodemus after the king of rats in the critically acclaimed animated film, The Secret of NIMH.
When she’s not playing on Wheel of Fortune Vanna White plays mom to cats Kiki and Stella.
Funny guy Andy Samberg is, after all, the comedic mastermind behind the viral video series Laser Cats. The Saturday Night Live star was recently featured on the cover of Wired magazine with a cat perched on his shoulder.
Domestic cats, no matter their breed, are all members of one species: felines. There are more than two hundred cat breeds but this list only has the top 50 based on popularity around the world.
Dragon Li Tonkinese Cat
FUN FACTS ABOUT CATS
- The average cat sleeps 70% of its life.
- Most cats are lactose intolerant and should not be given cow’s milk.
- Cats knead with their paws when they are happy.
- Cats have more than 100 different vocal sounds.
- Cats can run up to 30 miles per hour.
- A cat can jump approximately seven times its height.
- A female cat carries her kittens for about 58-65 days before they are born.
- Cats cannot taste anything sweet.
- A cat’s sense of smell is approximately 14 times greater than that of a human.
- A group of kittens is called a kindle; a group of adult cats is called a clowder.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.
- Cats cannot see in complete darkness - only at low light levels.
- Humans greet each other by shaking hands; cats greet one another by touching their noses together.
- Unlike humans cats only sweat through their paws.
SONGS ABOUT CATS
Yes, they do exist! And no, they’re not like Phoebe's “smelly cat” from season two of Friends. They are actually pretty good and most of them are written or played by former famous bands and artists while at the top of their careers. Let’s take a look…
- What’s New Pussycat - Tom Jones, 1965
- Nashville Cats - The Lovin' Spoonful, 1966
- Lucifer Sam - Pink Floyd, 1967
- Stray Cat Blues - The Rolling Stones, 1968
- Phenomenal Cat - The Kinks, 1968
- Honky Cat - Elton John, 1972
- Cool for cats - Squeeze, 1979
- Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent, 1979
- U2 - An Cat Dubh, 1980
- Everybody Wants To Be Cat - Phil Harris, 1981
- Cat people - David Bowie, 1983
- The Lovecats - The Cure, 1983
- Like a Cat - Cyndi Lauper, 1989
- Black Cat - Janet Jackson, 1989
- Cat's in the Well - Bob Dylan, 1990
TOP 6 CATS ON TV WE WON'T FORGET
These kittens stole our hearts from the first time we saw them!
Tom from Tom & Jerry
Garfield from Garfield and Friends
|Felix from Felix the cat|
Top Cat and his Gang
|Salem from Sabrina the teenage witch|
At Embolden Jewelry we were also inspired by this incredible animal and we created an specific collection just for you to share your passion with the world.
Go to http://amzn.to/2hQiEwV and find your favorite, don’t forget to use the claim code: BEBOLD15 you'll get 15% Off on your entire order! (Buy any 2 items or more, one redemption per customer).